Punta Cana International Airport (PUJ) is by far the most important – and busiest – airport in the Caribbean and central America. Punta Cana Airport is traveled by over 6 million passengers on regular years.
Even though La Romana Casa de Campo (LRM) airport is nearby, the flight options to and from that airport are limited.
Most visitors to resorts in Bayahibe or La Romana choose Santo Domingo – Las Americas (SDQ) or Punta Cana International (PUJ) to travel to the destination.
Quote or book Punta Cana transportation from either airport here.
Pros and Cons: Traveling Through Punta Cana International Airport (PUJ)?
So, here’s the bottom line when choosing to travel to La Romana or Bayahibe resorts through PUJ airport:
- Punta Cana International Airport has flights to almost 100 cities and over 30 countries worldwide.
- You are much more likely to find a direct flight from an airport near you if you choose to travel through Punta Cana Airport.
- There are many options for your Punta Cana Airport Transfer, whereas SDQ airport has more limited options.
- The ambiance is much more tropical: you will know you arrived to the Caribbean from the moment the aircraft touches down.
- Many more airlines travel through Punta Cana International when compared to Santo Domingo Las Americas International Airport SDQ.
- It’s only a 50-60 minute ride from the Punta Cana International Airport to Bayahibe or La Romana.
Pros and Cons: Traveling Through Santo Domingo Las Americas International Airport SDQ?
- Airline tickets are usually cheaper flying in through Santo Domingo Las Americas International SDQ, when compared to Punta Cana International.
- Santo Domingo Las Americas is a city airport, and far less crowded than Punta Cana International Airport PUJ.
- You will likely be amongst many business travelers and Dominicans who travel abroad when in line.
- Customs and immigration lines are much shorter at SDQ when compared to PUJ, you will likely be out of the airport in a shorter time.
- Many flights from the big airports in the U.S.A.: John F. Kennedy International JFK, Miami International MIA, Newark International EWR, Ft. Lauderdale International FLL and Atlanta Hartsfield International ATL.
- There are seasonal flights from Canada: Toronto Pearson YYZ and Montreal Trudeau YUL as well as other U.S. cities like Dallas Fort-Worth DFW and Washington Dulles IAD.
All in all, Santo Domingo Las Americas International will make your ground transfer a bit longer: one hour and 30 minutes from Santo Domingo Las Americas SDQ Vs. 50-60 minutes from Punta Cana International Airport PUJ.